Congratulations on starting treatment with clear braces!
Entirely ceramic braces require responsibility on your part, the most essential being keeping your braces clean. Here are a few recommendations:
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time (although NOT required, we recommend Colgate Total toothpaste)
- Swish with a mouth rinse OR use a Waterpik twice a day for at least 30 seconds each time (although NOT required, we recommend ACT or Listerine)
- Floss with orthodontic flossers (currently available at Walmart and Weis, etc.)
At the beginning of treatment with ceramic braces, wires will sometimes start poking, or braces will pop off due to moisture during placement, types of foods eaten, etc. Don't panic! Call the Shoe Orthodontics office to schedule an appointment for reattachment or repair. You won't need to be seen on the same day unless you feel extreme discomfort.
As with all braces, avoiding hard, sticky, chewy foods that could damage your ceramic brackets or wires is important. Foods to avoid include, but are not limited to:
- Bubble Gum (sugar or sugarless)
- Hard Sourdough Pretzels
- Snickers Bars
- Hard Bagels
- Laffy Taffy
- Swedish Fish
- Apples and Carrots should be sliced thin to eat
- Beef Jerky
- Kettle Chips
- Gummy Bears
- Chewing on pens or pencils
- Bottle Caps
Don't worry! You can eat plenty of food, including most of the foods you might usually have at the dinner table. Our patients enjoy meats, pasta, cooked vegetables, ice cream, milkshakes, cake, chocolate, and much more!
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about your treatment! With your help, we will provide you with a healthy, beautiful smile!
The Team at Shoe Orthodontics