So you started treatment with a combination of ceramic and metal braces; now what? Well first... Congratulations on starting your orthodontic treatment!
Having combined braces requires responsibility on your part; the most important responsibility is keeping them clean. We're happy to provide tips and resources to keep your smile journey on track.
For hygiene and maintenance of your braces, you should do the following:
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time (we recommend Colgate Total toothpaste)
- Swish with a mouth rinse OR use a Waterpik twice a day for at least 30 seconds each time (we recommend ACT or Listerine)
- Floss with orthodontic flossers (currently available at Walmart and Weis, etc.)
At the beginning of your treatment with ceramic and metal braces, it's not unusual for wires to poke or a bracket to pop off from moisture when they were placed, food eaten, etc. If this happens, don't panic! We're here to help. Call Shoe Orthodontics, and our team will schedule an appointment. You don't have to visit us on the same day unless you're experiencing pain or discomfort.
To keep from damaging your ceramic braces or metal braces, you should avoid eating hard, sticky, or chewy foods. Some foods to avoid include, but are not limited to:
- Bubble Gum (sugar or sugarless)
- Hard Sourdough Pretzels
- Snickers Bars
- Hard Bagels
- Laffy Taffy
- Swedish Fish
- Apples and Carrots should be sliced thin to eat
- Beef Jerky
- Kettle Chips
- Gummy Bears
- Chewing on pens or pencils
- Bottle Caps
But no worries! There are still a lot of foods you can enjoy. You can still eat meats, pasta dishes, steamed vegetables, ice cream, milkshakes, cake, cookies, chocolate, and so much more!
If you have any questions about treatment with metal and ceramic braces, please contact us! Our team at Shoe Orthodontics is more than happy to answer any questions or provide more information about your care.
The Team at Shoe Orthodontics